Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Time to kill...

I have a bitty bit of time to kill before I shed my sweats and change back into my clickety-clack clothes (think about it: black pants, high heels) to go back into the hospital and sit down with a student for a halfway evaluation (already!). So I'm trying to think of a gripping blog subject, and can't, so for the sake of far-away family, I will fill you in on some updating...

Let me see....hmmmmm....

1. Spring has GOT to show up in Michigan at some point. It made a quick pit stop, but was elbowed out promptly by a cold front. My peony bushes are trying to sprout, and my forsythia is trying to put on some cuter duds, so I know it's imminent. It's still pretty chilly, but I absolutely reFUSE to wear my winter coat any longer. I don't CARE if it's snowing...a windbreaker will simply have to do.

2. Matt's slammed at work, but no complaints here as long as he has a job! He's still teaching his junior high boys at AWANA and really digging in deep with them about LUST. Whoa. No cutting corners with him. He's been getting good feedback from the boys, which is awesome.

3. Adoption stuff is on the back burner right now. If you're in the throes of the adoption process and get pregnant, in most cases you're required to terminate the process. And it's pretty much non-refundable. I've talked with other couples who, after struggling with years of infertility, plunked down thousands of dollars and prepared their dossier for an adoption, and voila!! Got pregnant, and lost those thousands of dollars. So we're like, ummmm...let's keep saving our money (hard to do, especially when you read #4), keep gathering info, and work on bio kids first.

4. We had grand plans for our tax refund, but the government had the last laugh and reached WAAAY down into our pockets to extract an abominable amount of money instead (abominable for us, anyway. Just suffice to say it's in the four-digit range). Our accountant stuttered and hemmed and hawed how to break the news that if we had kids, it would have turned out a lot better. Wow.

5. About six more weeks and we head to California!!!!! We haven't been there for about a year and a half and can't WAIT to see Matt's family. We'll be spending part of our time with Matt's family in St. Helena (near Napa), and the last half of our week there we're going to spend in Lake Tahoe. I can't wait to see actual sunshine!! And shop at Trader Joe's and get smoothies at Jamba Juice!

6. And then, we're going to Colorado in July!!! For those of you who don't know, I spent two summers in southern CO as a camp nurse at Sonlight Christian Camp in Pagosa Springs (about an hour and a half east of Durango). So we're going to head there for the last week of July and work as support staff - washing dishes, chopping wood, hanging laundry, WHATEVER we're needed to do. Just getting some good mountain fresh air and listening to kids laugh in the meadow. It's kind of a pinch time-wise to do two big vacations in one summer, but we're kind of thinking it might (MIGHT) be one of our last chances to do something like that before kidlets. And hopefully drop in and see sister/brother-in-law Beth and Dave and nephew Cole in Denver. We shall see...

7. We're hoping to do a little more house work this spring...like re-siding the garage and putting a fence around the back yard and along the sides to kind of "contain" our yard for dog, kids, etc. We have a great contractor who did the work on our house last year...during the winter months he works for a mission organization down south, so we know where the money goes, and he's trustworthy and does a fabu job.

Alrighty, I'll bore you no longer! That's about all that's going on here. Looking forward to Spring getting the show on the road here!

2 comments:

Sara said...

haha - you're #6 made me laugh - we thought of doing that last summer and it didn't work, so we're going this summer and taking our kidlet with us!! She'll be one of Sonlight's youngest campers :D

CA Mommy said...

Sometimes I wonder if I know too much about the lives of my children, then I read your blog, and think, YES!! This is how it feels to have great kids who are doing a wonderful job living rewarding lives. I am proud of you and love you both, CA Mommy