Thursday, January 14, 2010

By popular demand

Heavenly Father - wrap your arms around your children in Haiti. We can't conceive of their fear and helplessness. You are Father to the fatherless; You are Jehovah-Jireh, our Provider; You are sovereign and can bring good things out of what is horribly bad. Show us what we can do to help these people. Help supplies get to the people who need them. Let Your good overcome evil, in Christ's name.

For those who live in the Holland area, I know that there is someone from Eagle Crest Academy (the charter school off Riley and 120th) who is heading to Haiti in the next several days with a mission relief organization. They have a drop-box in the front hallway, and everything will make it to Haiti safely and get to the people who need it. Food, can openers, and medical supplies will be so helpful (and remember the fact that non-perishables that can be opened and eaten without needing to be mixed with water are best).

Anyway, very quickly switching topics here: I wasn't planning on posting two recipe posts back-to-back (I'm sure they're boring if you don't like to cook), but I have received so many requests for "my" corn chowder recipe, that I have to post it!!!

This recipe is totally gluten and dairy free, vegan, and delicious. Now, don't knock it till you try it!!! I took it to work in my lunch the past couple of days and got many remarks on how great it smelled and how good it looked. It's not a typical chowder in that it's not a cream-based soup, so it's less chowder-y and more soup-y. But it's a yummy and comforting soup to eat nonetheless, and you could definitely toss in some chicken if the thought of a vegan recipe is too weird. ;) But I really encourage you to try it as-is. You might be surprised...AND it's roughly 100 calories per 1-cup serving (the recipe doesn't provide the nutrition info, so I crunched the calorie numbers myself), so it's a great complement for your lunch or a snack that packs plenty of veggies, no fat, and zero cholesterol.

This recipe is also from the "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker" book.

Corn Chowder in Winter

1 T olive oil (can I just take a second and say how much I loooooove olive oil????)
1 small yellow onion, chopped (get out your veggie chopper!!!!!)
1 celery rib, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced (I actually like to leave the skin on...a lot of nutrients in that skin!)
3 c frozen corn
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 c vegetable stock (you could use chicken stock/broth if that's what you have on hand) - I like to use "Better Than Bouillon" vegetable base - a little jar found by the broths in the soup aisle
Salt and pepper (I just use seasoning salt)

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery, cover, and cook until softened, ~5 min.

2. Transfer the cooked veggies to your slow cooker. Add the potato, corn, bell pepper, and stock; season to taste, cover, and cook on Low for 6 hours.

3. Lade 2 cups of the soup solids into a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Stir the puree back into the chowder (this is what gives it a "chowder-y" base).

Bon appetit!

No comments: