Thursday, January 7, 2010

A culinary world tour

The only times I have sat down today were to update blog posts and catch up on email! I'm whupped! I'm now sitting down with some jasmine tea, a new Title 9 catalog (drooool), and a new cookbook.

I don't have pictures of these recipes, because we gobbled them up too quickly. ;) But they're easy and I highly, highly recommend that you try them real soon!!

Okay, first, I made a Greek salad last night. Divine. And then tonight I served the leftover Greek salad with salsa soup. Double divine. And that's why it's a culinary world tour. So here we go...

BTW - both of these are from "Gluten Free and Easy" by Robyn Russell

Greek Salad

2 medium roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 head romaine, chopped
1 c pitted black olives (I sprung for kalamatas)
1 red onion, finely diced (use the veggie chopper I know you just went out and bought!!)
4 scallions, chopped (I actually forgot to use these)
2T chopped Italian parsley
feta

Dressing
2 T EV olive oil
1 T white wine vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1/2 t dried oregano
1/4 t crushed garlic (I just used a small amount of minced garlic out of a jar)
salt, to taste

1. Combine all ingredients, except the feta, in a bowl and toss
2. Combine dressing ingredients in a glass jar with a lid and shake well. Pour over salad, toss to coat, and add feta.

Salsa Soup

A fun version of vegetable soup with a bit of a kick

3 c chicken stock (I used veggie broth)
1 celery stalk, diced (ANOTHER EXCUSE TO USE THE VEGGIE CHOPPER!!!)
1 small carrot, diced
1 can corn, drained (I used a cup of frozen)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 c salsa (I used Meijer brand garlic salsa and it was perfect)
1c chopped cooked chicken
1 T chopped cilantro leaves (I left this out. I don't like cilantro.)

Heat the stock to simmering. Add the celery and carrot and simmer for a few minutes, then add the corn and beans. Stir in the salsa, using more or less to suit your taste. Add the chicken, heat through, and stir in the cilantro.

I served this with crumbled tortilla chips (to use as crackers). You can sprinkle in some cheese or serve with a dollop of sour cream if you want to.

Hope you enjoyed the world tour!!!

No comments: