Sunday, January 17, 2010

More popular demand!

Okay foodies, I have actually received requests for certain recipes. I feel like I should start a separate blog for them!!! Again, sorry if you're bored by recipes. I like to post them because, A) who doesn't love having a new recipe to try?, and B) I get frustrated sifting through websites and shelves full of cookbooks that have weird ingredients that I would never buy. So if I find a good recipe that is fairly easy and healthy, I love to pass it along.

Three of these recipes make a divine little symphony together. One of my FB friends asked for a couple of them. My favorite "ethnic" food is Mediterranean...so here is an amazing Mediterranean meal you can make with fairly basic ingredients, though a few of the ingredients are "weird"...but once you buy them, you can use them for a while.

And CA Mommy, they're all g- and d- free. ;) Except the pita chips. Whoops.

Today I will introduce you to hummus, pita chips (if you didn't see it on one of my FB statuses), tabouleh, and chicken souvlaki (basically shishkabobs). Grab a towel, because you WILL drool.

Hummus

Don't knock it till you try it. A staple at the Gouveia house. This recipe is from my aunt Ginger.

1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
1/4 fresh squeezed lemon juice (roughly the juice of one medium lemon)
1/4 c tahini (don't freak out - it's sesame paste - found in the Mediterranean section of the ethnic food aisle)
1 T olive oil
1/4 c water
1 or 2 garlic cloves (I have this huge jar of minced garlic that sits in the fridge. Perfect for all these recipes)
Salt and pepper to taste (I use Morton's Nature's Seasonings for just about every recipe, BTW)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. That's it. Serve it with.....

Pita Chips

You can play with this one and put on them whatever you want. You need pita bread (I use Meijer brand wheat pitas). Cut one up into 1-inch-ish squares (or triangles, if you're a purist). Put them on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil (I use less than a Tbsp and brush it on either with one of those little cooking brushes or my finger if I'm lazy). Place them under the broiler on high for ~5 minutes (watch closely! They burn easily!).

My most recent variation (I think I saw it someplace in a magazine) is to sprinkle on some oregano and a little bit of feta before I broil it.

Eat it with your hummus and die of happiness.

How about making this into a little bigger meal?? May I suggest...

Chicken souvlaki

Again, don't be daunted by the fancy name. It's marinated chicken on a skewer. It's paired with a recipe for something called "tzatziki" (I'd love to know what that means - any Greekophones out there????) that actually looks kind of yummy - a yogurt-based dipping sauce for the chicken. But I like to dip mine in hummus.

Anyway...

3 T olive oil
2 T white wine vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1/2 small red onion, diced (I forgot this, BTW, when I was making it)
1 t dried oregano
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
skewers soaked in water (if you don't have skewers, it's okay. I bought a huge pack at Meijer and they've lasted me a long time)

1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients minus the chicken. Add the chicken and stir to coat, then cover and marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

2. Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers. Grill or broil until cooked through, turning to brown evenly. (I broiled on high for about fifteen minutes)

Need a different sort of salad? How about

Quinoa (keenwa) Tabouleh

Quinoa is a grain that is similar to rice with a more nutty taste. It contains every amino acid to make a "complete" protein. It is more expensive, though, so if you prefer you could probably use brown rice in this recipe instead.

1/2 c quinoa (or rice) cooked in broth (I use veggie) instead of plain water
3 1/2 oz semi-dried tomatoes, diced (um, I was lazy and dice cherry tomatoes instead)
1 short cucumber, diced
6 scallions, finely chopped
1 c finely chopped parsley
3 T olive oil or the oil reserved from the tomatoes
3 T lemon juice
1/4 t crushed garlic (I used my huge jar of minced garlic)
salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a large bowl place the tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, and parsley and toss to combine. Stir in as much of the quinoa as needed to give a balanced look to the salad.

2. In a glass jar with a lid combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt and pepper. Shake well. Pour over the salad, toss to coat and serve.

If you pair the chicken with the tabouleh or the Greek salad I posted earlier, some hummus (and a few pita chips, if desired), maybe some brown rice mixed with slivered almonds (or Almond Accents - the rice/almond combo is something I got from my aunt, and it's amazing - I love crunchy in my foods), and a few orange slices, not only will your stomach be dazzled but your eyes will be too!!!

Gotta give credit where it's due!!! I'm not such a genius that I invented these things. The chicken and tabouleh recipes are from "Gluten Free and Easy" by Robyn Russell.

3 comments:

CA Mommy said...

Great recipes Jenny. Did you get your Vegetarian Times Mag yet? There are some good G-F recipes there. In place of Pita Chips, try G-F rice chips for a crispy treat..they also contain sesame for a great taste. I think you should submit your last blog to your local newspaper for a commentary column. It is that good, everyone should have access to it! Love you, CA Mommy

Jenny said...

That's not a bad idea, Sarah (submitting to the commentary column)!!

hannah said...

jenny, thanks for the link to your blog! i look forward to trying your veggie corn chowder. also, if you eat the hummus with endive spears (found near the lettuce) it's gluten free!