Sunday, November 30, 2008

I miss you, friend...


Tomorrow marks four years from when a dear friend of mine passed into Heaven. Mya and her twin, Stella, were born on May 26, 2004 at 26 weeks'gestation. Mya had multiple internal anomalies that were not known until she began having severe complications. Her story is long and heartbreaking, and a blog posting will never do her justice. But I will suffice to say that for six months that girl won my heart and I loved her and her amazing family. Mya had a spitfire personality, was demanding and had a temper. :D She knew many lifetimes of suffering in her short life, and had more surgeries, infections, and complications than I can count on all of my fingers and toes. She had her family and her primary nurses on an emotional roller-coaster, which is par for course in the raw and fragile world of the NICU.

Mya's story is sad and humorous and sweet all at once, and there will probably never be another patient of mine who will worm her way into my heart the way that baby did. My heart goes out to all of those families who wear the garment of grief during the holiday season, whether it is because their child is ill, has passed away, or never knew life outside of the womb. To you I say, I am so sorry.

To Mya I say yet again, Miss Jenny loves you and thinks you're beautiful. I can't wait to see you in heaven where you are whole.

1 comment:

Lamont said...

I know with all my heart that she loved you too. Thank you Jenny, for being another mother to my girls during that precious time.